Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Medicinal Print jsk Project, part 1

So I ordered this custom printed fabric via spoonflower during their free shipping promotion. I bought 3 yards. And yep, I designed this fabric myself.


This photo is taken after I washed, dried and ironed it. The red is a little deeper in person, but still photograps a pleasant color. And the in real life color is exactly what I was wanting.

As you can see, I have this fabric folded over a bunch. I was pretty careful in the process, as this is going to be the skirt portion of my dress. And I wanted to line it up as well as I could. I used a self healing mat, ruler and rotary cutter to cut the skirt fabric from the rest of the fabric. I find that the whole project looks nicer and is much easier to work with when I do that. I normally cut my skirt panels at 22 inches, or about 56cm in length. I cut this at 21.5 inches from where my print begins on the fabric. I'm going to use 1/2 an inch approximately of the white border when I hem the skirt portion.

I then lined up the edges of the print, folded over the seem allowance and ironed it. The fold from the iron is going to be my sewing line for attempting to line the print up at the side of the skirt.


After ironing, I made marks where my pocket is going to go.


I sew pockets in at about 6 inches from the top of the skirt panel. I used a bit of blue tailor's chalk to mark where not to sew.


I pinned the right sides together, using 2 pins as an additional mark of where to stop sewing. Then I stitched the side seem.


There's where the pocket will go. I still need to serge the raw edges of the fabric. I'll do that before I sew the pockets on. I'm going to serge each side rather than serging them together. 


The slit for the pocket is looking pretty decent. I wish I'd lined up the print a little more precice. But matching diagonal stripes is rather hard.

It doesn't seem like much as of yet. But I have made some progress on this piece. I am waiting for some of the lace I intend to use on this project.


I do make a small comission from sales of this fabric.
https://www.spoonflower.com/designs/8276172-medicinal-stripes-red-by-espressobug

It appears they no longer have the Kona Cotton. The other less expensive option is the Cotton Poplin. Although the Organic Cotton Sateen Ultra is a better choice in my opinion. (But a fair amount more expensive) 3 yards of fabric is usually about what you need for a standard size lolita jsk. Additional fabric may be needed for larger sizes or extra bows/ruffles, ect.

No comments:

Post a Comment